Monday 18 June 2007

New orchids bought at the Show

We always attend orchid shows with good intentions - not to impulse purchase! We ordered most of our orchids beforehand for collection at the venue. Nevertheless we still managed to come home with more than we set out to bring. It is very difficult to resist - just another one. Here's a couple that were in flower and difficult to resist.

Cirrophyllum
Phal Cornu Cervi Aurea
Ho's Black Cherub
Disa Riette

We ordered several Phal species plants and two others that I am looking forward to blooming - Chingruey's Morning 'Palace Dragon' a young plant and Doritaenopsis Fire Cracker Blue Martini which is in spike.

Disa Riette had lost its pollen to the packaging so I used it to pollinate Orangeade, Brides Dream and Watsonii blooms to see if some seed is produced. I now have some 10 or so seed pods ripening and have to get to grips with choice of media to sow some on and experiment again with germination. I think it is probably safe to say my first try with purchased seeds will be a failure no signs of movement under the magnifying glass and many seeds with mould covering. Moss and sand next I guess.

No comments: